The Xidian University Campus Network was set up in 1994, and it was one of the earliest campus networks in institutions of higher learning in China. In 1995, the Network Center was established which was attached to the President Office and it was mainly responsible for the construction of the network’s infrastructure and its operational maintenance. According to the need of the University’s overall development, the Informationization Construction Department (ICD) was founded in September of 2008, which takes charge of the University’s informationization construction and management.
The major functions of the ICD are as follows:
1. to formulate the overall development plan of the University’s informationization construction;
2. to work out the information standards, management norms and rules & regulations for informationization construction;
3. to plan as a whole and undertake the overall construction of the University’s informationization; to take charge of managing and coordinating the registration & authorization, examination, assessment and acceptance inspection of the informationization project according to the schedule of the University’s informationization construction; to be in charge of drawing up the feasible schemes of the University’s key informationization construction projects and organizing their implementation.
4. to be responsible for the construction, management and operational maintenance of the campus network; to direct and coordinate the network construction for the special network users at the University; to take charge of the information security of the campus network.
5. to be in charge of the unified implementation and management of sharing and integration of information resources of the University’s digital campus system; to organize, coordinate and supervise the construction of the management systems of all units at the University and provide technical support.
6. to take charge of the construction, management, updating and maintenance of the University’s master website, and direct & supervise the construction, management, updating and maintenance of the websites of all units at the University.